Check out the latest Two Men and a Stove episodes:
Two Men and a Stove Go International!
This show featured guest junior chef Bergsvein Toverud, a student at William Lenoir Middle School. Bergsvein has been a faithful participant in the Two Men audience demonstration cooking events and even assisted during these. So, we invited him for a special edition of Two-and-a-half Men and A Stove. This bright and articulate 12 year-old master chef of the future showed his love for food preparation by sharing a couple of dishes from his nation of heritage, Norway. He also demonstrated his ability to replicate, if not improve, a dish from a well-known restaurant chain. Ram and Dave were each able to slip in one dish to compliment Bergsvein's work: Dr. K's Koleslaw and David's broccolini and lemon twist.
Rosemary Cod with Mashed Rutabaga
- Four 1/2-pound cold fillets, skin on
- 2 pounds of rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1-inch dice
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) of unsalted butter, cut into pieces (The show substituted Extra Virgin Olive Oil for butter.)
- Fine sea salt
- 4 very small sprigs of fresh rosemary
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Soak cod in ice water for 15-20 minutes. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Farenheit.
- Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the rutabaga and cook for 25-30 minutes or until soft. Drain well. Return the rutabaga to the pan to dry completely over low heat (for 1-2 minutes). Puree the rutabaga in a food processor and return it to the pan. Stir in the EVOO (or butter). Season with a little salt and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, make a small incision through the skin of each cod and gently insert a rosemary sprig. Season well with salt and pepper and rub with olive oil. Place the fish in a roasting pan and roast for 15 minutes or until the fish flakes easily.
- Place a scoop of mashed rutabaga on each plate. Top with cod and serve.
Dr. K's Koleslaw
- 1 medium size head cabbage, julienned (sliced in long pieces)
- 1 medium size onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 bell pepper each of yellow, green, red julienned
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 - 1 tsp red chili pepper powder
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 2-3 curry leaves ( may substitute fresh cilantro )
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 lemon fresh squeezed
- In large skillet heat olive oil, sautee onions, garlic, mustard seeds, curry leaves, and cumin powder until onions soften.
- Add peppers and sautee.
- In separate bowl toss cabbage with turmeric powder, salt, lemon juice and chili pepper.
- Add cabbage to skillet and cook covered 8-10 minutes over low to medium heat tossing occasionally.
- Remove cover, remove from heat and toss before serving.
2 green chili peppers diced can be substituted for chili pepper powder, 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut can also be tossed into cabbage before serving for a sweeter flavor.
David's Broccolini and Lemon Twist
Parboil approximately 40 stalks of broccolini in lightly salted water for 4 minutes.
Heat a pan with EVOO and lemon juice.
Remove broccolini immediately from the water after 4 minutes and add to the pan. Toss to evenly cover with EVOO and lemon juice mixture. Remove from heat and serve.
Download and Printable Recipes:
Dr. Krishnaraj's Yogurt Dressing
- 2 cup fat free yogurt plain
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cucumber diced
- 1 red onion diced
- 3 roma tomatoes diced
- Handful of chopped cilantro, parsley, or dill
- Salt and pepper
In large bowl combine all ingredients. Set in fridge, serve chilled. Makes a great chip dip, sandwich topping, or salad dressing!
Click here for dates Two Men and a Stove episodes air dates and times.